Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Potholders are Overrated...

My brother found me sitting indian style, crying in the middle of the kitchen floor sitting a few feet from a cookie sheet and surround by cookies. That's when I started what became a trend of forgetting potholders when taking things out of the oven.

I was 12...when most kids, I assume, are staying home alone....I was having my brother "babysit" me. So, while my brother is doing his babysitting duties sleeping soundly at 10 a.m., I'm downstairs being a baker and baking cookies.

First batch....success.

Second batch....success.

And by success I mean cookies aren't burnt...neither am I.

Then...it went downhill.

Third batch.....OUCH! That's when the forgetting potholders started. I grabbed into the hot, hot oven with my bare hand and for a second proceeded as normal. Then pain set in. I screamed at the top of my lungs, throw the cookie sheet up to the ceiling, cookies fly all over the place, and I fall to the ground straight into an indian style sitting position as tears begin to stream down my face.

And that's where my brother came to the rescue....sort of. He yelled at me for yelling and waking him up and then told me to put my hand under cold water and pick up the mess...then proceeded back to bed.

Note to self: Potholders are NOT overrated. Something I still have to remind myself until this day.

No comments: