Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Caught Choosing Meat

Eating over other people's houses is fine with me...as long as they know and embrace my special eating tendencies. Sadly, that's not many people so eating at people's houses for me is just...um...uncomfortable.

The other night we were having dinner at my boyfriend's parent's house with his parents, his brother and his girlfriend, and his sister and husband. It's not like this was a first time or anything, it was just that we were having red meat again and this time...I was caught.

First let's talk about red meat. I eat red meat. However, I need to inspect the peice I choose from the plate to ensure it has the least amount of fat possible as well as the least amount of red possible. Then, when the peice of meat is chosen, I must cut my meat before any other side dishes are placed on my plate. This allows for the optimal space to cut my meat into the perfect bitesized peices as well as inspect each individual peice to ensure the peice is acceptable to the red/fat checklist.

So...tonight I'd already been put in what I find to be uncomfortable. I had all my side dishes--but had yet to been passed the meat. I was the last one to get the meat dish. While I lost the side dish battle, I figured I'd be able to win the meat battle. As the least individual to get meat, no one would be waiting for the plate to be passed. I also thought others would be busy arranging their own plates so to not notice me.

Well...I was surely wrong. Instead, my boyfriend's sister's husband caught me awkwardly checking out the peices of meat to determine which one I'd choose and asked: "What are you looking for? Chicken?"

Followed by his mother chiming in that there wasn't any chicken on the plate. With my boyfriend giggling next to me because he knows my specialness....and the rest of his family now watching me.

After mumbling jibberish, I take a random peice of meat and am left to figure a way to cut this meat so that each peice passes inspection while still keeping it seperate from the other dishes.

No comments: