Wednesday, February 6, 2008

"Blind Date"

Without my contacts, I can only see blurs of color. This being said, the eye doctor and I are friends. I used to go and either the old man or the quite attractive middle aged man would check my eyes. During my appointments I like to ask many questions of how the machines work and why they're doing certain tests...I'm like a 5 year old seeing the outside world for the first time but rather I'm a 20+ year old getting help with my eye sight, questioning the world of vision.

So, my last eye appointment...

I hadn't been in a year so I looked forward to either getting the cute elderly gentleman or the attractive mid-age man. BUT NO. Instead I get a guy a not so attractive guy I'd never seen before. Of course I ask the questions about the machines again...especially the machine with the white/black circles that looks like a bullseye of sorts. After getting a few of the tests done in a small room we move onto the classic tests I grew up with in which they determine what lenses to give you. At this point, I have no contacts in and no glasses on. Back to the blurry world of blindness.

Sitting in the chair the eye doctor and I discuss my eyes and how bad they are. My response is "am I going blind?"..."are you sure I'm not going blind?" After getting a chuckle out of him, we begin to talk and I learn he grew up in Germany and moved here with his sister and he's 26 etc etc. We talk about Germany for a bit as I'd gone a few months previous and then we get back to my eyes.

Who would think eyes and the eye doctor could get awkward?! ...besides maybe eyeball licking but thats for another time. Well, after telling me that my eyes look like crap...yes those were his exact words, he asks me how often I take my contacts out. Then he informs me I should take them out when I get home from work and switch to my glasses...then proceeds to say "how bout you call me on your way home, you then take your contacts out, put your glasses on, and then I'll pick you up and take you for a drink and make sure your wearing your glasses so your eyes get better."

Um....did i just get asked on a date at the eye doctors???

Perhaps it wouldn't have been so awkward if I didn't chuckle/giggle awkwardly and then ask once again "am I going blind?"

No comments: